Wednesday, October 5, 2011

What's wrong with the iPhone [Integer] [Optional modifier]?

Humans are funny animals.

For weeks many iPhanatics have been awaiting the launch of the next thing from Apple. But even on twitter you can hear the echoes of people's disappointed, (some even angry) facebook posts; that apple didn't launch the iPhone 5 but instead launched the iPhone 4s.

So what's in a name?

I'm reminded of a TED talk by a former ad man Rory Sutherland where he talks about intangible value or subjective value.

Advertising adds value to a product by changing our perception, rather than the product itself. Rory Sutherland makes the daring assertion that a change in perceived value can be just as satisfying as what we consider “real” value -- and his conclusion has interesting consequences for how we look at life.
- TED

In this case it seems that a change in perception about the value (via the label) can be just as dissatisfying as if someone just gave you back your old iPhone and called it new.

People with iPhone (previous) were all anticipating the iPhone 5 because they wanted things like:
* a better camera (well actually the best camera available on a phone)
* a new lens
* video image stabilization
* face recognition
* quicker access to the camera (from the lock screen) so you don't miss shots
* two antenna types so you can go from CDMA to GSM networks seamlessly
- and get off at&t
* a faster processer (you know what make it a dual core processer)
* a newer, faster operating system
* 7 times faster graphics on the screen
* 2 times faster browsing (processor load time - not network time)
* some wow factor feature that my android friends can't have
- (like siri - the ability to tell your phone to 'wake me up at 5:35' or 'remind me to get milk when I'm near a grocery store')
* and 200 other new things

The iPhone 4s has all of these things... but it has a smaller integer than they wanted in its name.

Sad.

I still want one.

I was an iPhone first generation owner but switched to Android last year (for a bigger screen and better camera - and to get away from at&t). I was waiting for the iPhone 5 so I could have an iPhone that could work on another network besides at&t, like sprint... Oh, wait... the 4s does have that.

-legal disclaimer: I own several shares of apple stock in my sharebuilder account - but that's not why I wrote this post. I wrote it because of the whining. :)

No comments: